courses taught and upcoming
- CLAS 206/HIST 30, History of the Ancient Mediterranean II
Sample past courses
- GL 755, Greek and Latin Epigraphy
- GR 208, Sophocles
- HSHU 101, The Christian Tradition I: From Jesus to Muhammad
- LAT 465, Advanced Latin Seminar
- LAT 509, Intensive Elementary Latin
- LAT 515, Roman Historiography
- LAT 524, Julius Caesar
- LAT 528, Roman Lyric
- LAT 579, Roman Epistolography
- LAT 609, Gregory of Tours
- LAT 705, Patristic Seminar-Caesarius of Arles
- LAT 707, The Later Roman Empire
- CLAS 205/HIST 305, History of the Ancient Mediterranean I
- CLAS 206/HIST 314, History of the Ancient Mediterranean II
- CLAS 302, Greek and Roman Religion
- CLAS 305, The Roman Family
- CLAS 321/521, Numismatic Workshop
- CLAS 572, The Mediterranean World of Late Antiquity
- CLAS 621, Gibbon’s Decline and Fall
- Caesarius of Arles: The Making of a Christian Community in Late Antique Gaul (Cambridge, 1994). Awarded the 1996 James Henry Breasted Prize by the American Historical Association.
- Caesarius of Arles: Life, Testament, Letters (Liverpool, 1994).
- The Limits of Ancient Christianity: Essays on Late Antique Thought and Culture in Honor of R. A. Markus (Ann Arbor, 1999), edited with Mark Vessey.
- The Early Christian Book (Washington, DC, 2007), edited with Linda Safran.
Selected recent Articles and book chapters
- “Theology and History in the Thought of Robert Austin Markus.” Papers Presented at the Sixteenth International Conference on Patristic Studies held in Oxford, 2011, ed. M. Vinzent, 73–83, Vol. 1: Former Directors, Studia Patristica 53 (Leuven: Peeters, 2013).
- "Defining the Sortes Sanctorum: Gibbon, Du Cange, and Early Christian Lot Divination," Journal of Early Christian Studies 10 (2002), 77-130.
- "Isidore of Seville's Taxonomy of Magicians and Diviners," Traditio 58 (2003), 59-90.
- "Divination and the Disciplines of Knowledge according to Augustine," in Augustine and the Disciplines: From Cassiciacum to Confessions, ed. Karla Pollmann and Mark Vessey (Oxford, 2005), 113-40.
- "Christian Divination in Late Roman Gaul: the Sortes Sangallenses," in Mantikê: Studies in Ancient Divination, ed. Sarah Iles Johnston and Peter T. Struck (Leiden, 2005), 99-128.
- "Inventing the sortilegus: Lot Divination and Cultural Identity in Italy, Rome, and the Provinces," in Religion in Republican Italy, ed. Celia E. Schultz and Paul B. Harvey, Jr. (Cambridge, 2006), 137–61.
- "Comer y beber con los muertos: Mónnica de Tagaste y la adivinación de los sueños beréber" (trans. Enrique A. Eguiarte), Augustinus 52 (2007), 127–31.
- “Cultural Geography: Roman North Africa,” in A Companion to Augustine, ed. Mark Vessey with the assistance of Shelley Reid (Oxford, 2012), 24-39.
- "Christianity in Gaul," in The Cambridge History of Religions in the Ancient World, gen. ed. Michele R. Salzman, vol. 2: From the Hellenistic Age to Late Antiquity, ed. William Adler (Cambridge, 2013), 484-509.